If you’re looking for easy science experiments for kids as well as science based activities, you’ll find dozens, for all age groups, here on my blog.
What is Science?
Science is the study of the world around us. Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Environmental Science are just a few examples of the sciences that surround us every day.
Incorporating Science into Playful Activities
Because science plays a major role in almost everything we do and observe, it’s easy to incorporate simple science concepts and lessons into fun experiments, countless art and sensory activities, and even into some of the crafts you do with your kids.
Use Common Household Materials and Supplies
And many can be done with very little prep, and with common household supplies (soap, food colouring, toilet paper etc) or natural occurring materials (baking soda, water, ice, salt etc.)
Below, you’ll find all of the science activities that I’ve shared on my blog, over the years, conveniently grouped by category.
Whether you’re looking for beginner science activities to do with toddlers and preschoolers, or simple but cool science experiments to do with elementary school kids and tweens, you’re bound to find some ideas here that you’ll love.
Science Activities for Kids
Classic Science Activities for Kids:
- Expanding Ivory Soap Experiment
- 10-Minute Homemade Butter in a Jar
- Coffee Can Ice Cream
- Magic Milk Colour Explosion
- Homemade Giant Bubble Recipe
- 2-Ingredient Goop Recipe (or Ooblek)
- Making Crystals with Borax and Pipe Cleaners
- Turning Grapes into Raisins
- Fizzing Colours: Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- 3 Chemical Reaction Experiments for Preschoolers
- Melting Elsa’s Frozen Hands
- Building Colourful Backyard Ice Sculptures
- Dino Dig Excavation
- Melting Ice with Salt and Water
- Ice Age Bin
- Frozen Fractals Soup
- Frozen Fractals Ice Sculptures
- Melting Heart with Salt and Watercolours
- Melting Halloween Hands
Water-Science Activities and Experiments:
- 3-Ingredient Ocean in a Bottle
- Sink or Float Experiment
- Water Displacement Experiment
- Colour Laboratory
- Water Works Activity
- Garden Soup
- Fairy Soup
- Salt Glue and Water Colour Experiment
- Paper Towel Dip
- Paper Towel Art with Markers & Water
- Paper Towel Drip Art with Liquid Watercolours
- Cotton Pad Art
- Colouring the Snow with Watercolours
- Homemade Watercolour Paint Pucks
- Homemade Liquid Watercolour Paints
- Coloured Ice Pop Painting
- Wax Resist Thank You Cards
- 3-Ingredient Puffy Paint
- Tie Dye Technique with Sharpies and Rubbing Alcohol – Book Marks
- Melted Crayon Art
- Polly Pocket Ice Painting Activity
Building & Structure Activities:
- Styrofoam Structures
- Spreading and Stacking with Blocks and Shaving Cream
- Toilet Roll Structures
- Mosaic Structures
Check back often, as I’ll continue to add more science-based activities as we do them.
You can also find hundreds of ideas from myself and other bloggers on my Science Board on Pinterest.
Get my latest e-book:
40 hands-on, learning activities for kids ages 3-8. Recipes, experiments, art projects, printables and play ideas with links to 80 activities not featured in the book.