15 Homemade Paints for Kids that you can make at home! homemade finger paints, edible paints, puffy paint, homemade watercolours, DIY liquid watercolours and more….
If your kids are like my hooligans, they LOVE to paint! Today, I’m sharing 15 fabulous homemade paint recipes that you can make for your toddlers and preschoolers. Painting is such a fun way for kids to express their creative side, but lets face it, paint can be expensive to buy; especially if your kids go through it quickly.
Making your own paint is a fun and inexpensive alternative to buying the store-bought stuff. All of these recipes are easy to make, and several of them were created with babies and toddlers in mind, and are completely taste-safe. That way, if you have a little one who gets more paint in her mouth than on her paper, there’s no need to worry!
15 Easy Homemade Paint Recipes!
1. Homemade Watercolour Paint Pucks – These homemade watercolour paints can be made with 5 simple kitchen ingredients. The hooligans love them! The colours don’t get all mixed up like the ones in those tiny store-bought trays, and they’re much less expensive when you make them yourself.
2. Vibrant Liquid Watercolours – Store-bought liquid watercolours are amazing, but they’re quite expensive. We make our own here, using our old, dried up markers. It takes a bit of patience, but the process is fun, and after a few days of waiting, you’ll have a supply of homemade liquid watercolour paint that cost you absolutely nothing!
3. Shaving Cream Paint – These paints are great for the bathtub or for painting the sliding glass doors (from the outside of course). They’re super-easy to mix up, and they smell amazing!
4. 3-Ingredient Puffy Paint – Kids LOVE puffy paint, and now you can make your own at home with 3 simple kitchen ingredients. This is cool stuff. Paint your picture, pop it in the microwave, and watch it puff right up. We like to use this paint recipe for making homemade greeting cards.
5. Easy Sidewalk Paint – If your kids love decorating the driveway with sidewalk chalk, they’ll love this 3-ingredient sidewalk paint. You can mix a batch up in minutes, and it will keep the kids busy for ages. Bonus, just like side-walk chalk, it washes away with the garden hose when your kids are finished creating for the day.
6. Homemade Smoothie Paints – a true sensory art experience for toddlers!
7. Kids can create colourful, textured art with this 1-Minute Salt Paint Recipe!
8. Painting with Skittles – what a “sweet” way to create some glossy candy art!
9. Colourful, Edible Paint for Babies – Now your little ones can have their paint and eat it too! Perfect for babies and toddlers who like to sample their handiwork!
10. I love combining art and nature. Have you ever crushed a flower or a handful of grass to see how much colour you can extract from them? Kids love playing “scientist”, and that’s exactly what they can do here when they make their own paint with ingredients found in nature!
11. Baby-Safe Fruit Paint – is an excellent way to introduce babies to art. You can set them up with a canvas or they can paint on the tray of their high chair. Either way, these paints provide them with a taste-safe medium to express themselves creatively!
12. Super-Easy Homemade Liquid Watercolours – these watercolours are WAY faster and easier to make than the recipe I shared with you earlier in this post. You won’t believe how easy (and genius) these liquid watercolours are to make. Talk about stretching your dollar!
13. Homemade Face and Body Paint – Face painting is always a hit with kids, and I’ve known a hooligan or two who love to make painting a full-body experience. They can do so without worry with this easy and inexpensive recipe.
14. Ooooh, an art, science and sensory combo! This yummy smelling “magic” Foaming Paint packs some vibrant colour and a surprise chemical reaction!
15. And lastly, here’s a paint that even the youngest babies and toddlers can safely enjoy. Let your little one explore his artistic side with this Scented Edible Finger-Paint recipe!
Get the 3-5 Playful Preschool e-Book!
25+preschool activities, 10 printables, 50 links to activities not featured in the book all for $6.99 until May 25, 2014. Price increases to $8.99 after the 25th. Download your copy today: