We’ve done dozens, perhaps hundreds of kids’ science activities here in my daycare over the years.
I love incorporating science into our preschool activities because it’s so easy to do. Science is all around us, in almost everything – art, water, ice, concoctions, gravity etc. This makes it really easy to take a simple craft or activity, and put a scientific spin on it for the toddlers and preschoolers that I care for.
It’s easy to teach children basic scientific concepts with common, household supplies, and you can do it in a way that’s it’s fun – SO fun, the kids won’t even realize you’re teaching a lesson.
Whether you’re looking for easy science activities to do with toddlers or simple preschool science experiments, you’re bound to find a few ideas here that you’ll love.
Below, you’ll find my favourite science-based activities for kids. They’re all easy and inexpensive ways to keep your kids entertained and learning while they play.
Science Activities for Kids
Classic Science Activities for Kids:
- Expanding Ivory Soap Experiment
- 10-Minute Homemade Butter in a Jar
- Magic Milk Colour Explosion
- Homemade Giant Bubble Recipe
- Making Crystals with Borax and Pipe Cleaners
- Turning Grapes into Raisins
- Fizzing Colours: Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- Melting Elsa’s Frozen Hands
- Building Colourful Backyard Ice Sculptures
- Dino Dig Excavation
- Melting Ice with Salt and Water
- Ice Age Bin
- Frozen Fractals Soup
- Frozen Fractals Ice Sculptures
- Melting Heart with Salt and Watercolours
- Melting Halloween Hands
Water-Science Activities and Experiments:
- 3-Ingredient Ocean in a Bottle
- Water Displacement Experiment
- Colour Laboratory
- Water Works Activity
- Garden Soup
- Fairy Soup
- Salt Glue and Water Colour Experiment
- Paper Towel Dip
- Paper Towel Art with Markers & Water
- Paper Towel Drip Art with Liquid Watercolours
- Cotton Pad Art
- Colouring the Snow with Watercolours
- Homemade Watercolour Paint Pucks
- Homemade Liquid Watercolour Paints
- Coloured Ice Pop Painting
- Wax Resist Thank You Cards
- 3-Ingredient Puffy Paint
- Tie Dye Technique with Sharpies and Rubbing Alcohol – Book Marks
- Melted Crayon Art
- Polly Pocket Ice Painting Activity
- 2-Ingredient Goop Recipe (or Ooblek)
- 2-Ingredient Cloud Dough
- 3-Ingredient Ghost Mud
- Fairy Mud
- “Frozen” Clean Mud
Building & Structure Activities:
- Styrofoam Structures
- Spreading and Stacking with Blocks and Shaving Cream
- Toilet Roll Structures
- Mosaic Structures
Check back often! I’ll be adding more science activities and experiments to this page.
In the meantime, if you’re looking for more easy and awesome science-based activities to do with kids, check out my SCIENCE ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS Board on Pinterest!
Get my latest e-book: Fizz, Pop, Bang! Playful Science and Math Activities
40 hands-on, learning activities for kids ages 3-8. Recipes, experiments, art projects, printables and play ideas with links to 80 activities not featured in the book.