What can you do with an old or scratched CD or DVD? Turn it into an adorable CD owl ornament!
If you’re like us, you likely have a few cds or dvds kicking around that are either scratched or that no-one watches or listens to anymore. Instead of throwing them into the garbage, I keep a stack of them for my daycare hooligans to craft with. In the past, we’ve made Christmas ornaments and wind chimes and musical instruments using CDs that were headed for the trash. Today,we used a few to make these adorable owl ornaments for fall.
Isn’t he sweet? He’d look cute hanging in a window or your child’s room, or even on a little, protected place on the porch or patio, wouldn’t he?
Ok, let’s get started! These little owls are super-easy to make!
To make our CD Owl ornament, you’ll need:
- old cds or dvds
- acrylic paint
- craft foam circles
- yellow craft foam
- paint brush
- craft feathers
1. Start by painting your cd. You will likely need two coats of paint to really cover the shiny surface of you cd. I gave ours a quick blast with the hair-dryer to dry the paint in between coats.
2. Glue on your foam circle eyes, and then glue a large button on to of each circle. You could also use large googly eyes or even construction paper or card stock if you don’t have craft foam and buttons.
3. Add the beak in a way that it covers most of the hole in the middle of the CD.
4. Glue a couple of craft feather wings to each side of your owl.
5. To hang our cd owls, we threaded a length of fishing line through the hole, and finished it with a knot.
And there you go! Hoot! Hoot! An easy, inexpensive craft for your toddler or preschooler to make for fall!
You might also enjoy:
Get the 3-5 Playful Preschool e-Book!
25+preschool activities by 25 bloggers, 10 printables, 50 links to activities not featured in the book all for $8.99!