Make a homemade magic wand, for a costume or pretend play, in 5 minutes, using materials you have around the house.
Oh, how the small things in life excite me! This homemade magic wand is proof of that.
I recently made this homemade magic kit for my toddlers and preschoolers, and I had to make a magic wand to go with it.
I came up with the idea to make one out of a drinking straw, and gosh, it turned out perfectly!
It was so simple to make, and it looks just like a real magic wand that a magician would use.
I thought I’d share it with you in case your kids ever need one. Check out our magic kit too. My kids love ours. I’ll bet your kids would love one too.
How to Make a Magic Wand that Looks Real
- plastic drinking straw
- electrical tape
- white tape ( I used hockey tape)
- Cut a length of black electrical tape equal to or a little shorter than the length of your drinking straw.
- Working longways, press the tape around the straw. If your tape isn’t wide enough to reach all the way around the straw, cut another strip to cover up the rest of the straw.
- Trim at each end if you need to clean up the edges.
- Cut a short length of white tape, and wrap it 2 or 3 times around the top end of the straw.
You have yourself a kickin’, little magic wand that’s perfect for a dress up costume or pretend play!
More Pretend Play Ideas for Kids
Jackie is a mom, wife, home daycare provider, and the creative spirit behind Happy Hooligans. She specializes in kids’ crafts and activities, easy recipes, and parenting. She began blogging in 2011, and today, Happy Hooligans inspires more than 2 million parents, caregivers and Early Years Professionals all over the globe.