Lemon Delight is one of those classic desserts that everyone loves.
It’s been a favourite in my family for years. It often makes an appearance at family get-togethers and holiday gatherings, and it always goes fast.
The nice thing about Lemon Delight is that it’s a light and refreshing dessert which is always nice after a big meal. And look at it…
Isn’t it pretty?
(Don’t let all those layers fool you. It’s super-easy to make!)
Mmmm…. My mouth is watering. I’m such a sucker for anything with lemon and cream cheese!
Luscious Lemon Delight Ingredients:
There is a printable version of this recipe at the bottom of the post.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup ground (or very finely chopped pecans)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2½ Cups thawed Cool Whip (scroll down for a homemade alternative)
- 2 small pkgs instant lemon pudding (roughly 99 grams each)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional, but I like the tartness it provides)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup icing sugar (also known as powdered sugar or confectioners sugar)
- 3 tbsp finely chopped pecans (to sprinkle on top)
I’ve had many readers from Australia and the UK ask if there’s an alternative to Cool Whip (I guess it’s a North American thing?). A thoughtful reader passed this recipe for homemade Cool Whip for those of you who can’t find the name brand in your grocery stores.
To make the crust:
Combine flour, chopped pecans and melted butter. Make sure your pecans are either ground or chopped very finely. This will produce a crust that holds together nicely.
Stir these three ingredients until well-blended and crumbly.
Press this mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes.
Adding your layers:
With electric beaters, mix cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth and creamy.
Fold in 1 cup of Cool Whip, and spread over crust.
*If your crust pulls apart, don’t panic. Your pecans were likely a bit course (ask me how I know this). Just work slowly (you may have to get your fingers in there) to spread the cream cheese layer as best as you can.
Whisk together pudding packets and milk. Add lemon juice, and continue to stir until thick.
Spread pudding over cream cheese layer.
Spoon remaining Cool Whip over the pudding.
Sprinkle with a dusting of chopped pecans.
Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
I find that this recipe is even better the next day, so I like to make it a day or two in advance.
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup ground or finely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2.5 cups cool whip (thawed)
- 2 x 99g pkgs instant lemon pudding
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3 tbsp finely chopped pecans
- Combine crust ingredients and press into 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Combine cream cheese and icing sugar. Beat smooth and creamy.
- Fold in 1 cup Cool Whip.
- Combine and spread over crust.
- Whisk together puddings and milk until thick. Stir in lemon juice.
- Spoon over cream cheese layer.
- Top with remaining Cool Whip.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Refrigerate 4 hours before serving.
You’ll love these easy recipes too:
Get the 3-5 Playful Preschool e-Book!
25+preschool activities by 25 bloggers, 10 printables, 50 links to activities not featured in the book all for $8.99!