Beef and Barley Soup
This hearty homemade soup is full of flavour and perfect for lunch or dinner on a fall or winter day.
- 1.5 lbs ground beef cooked and drained
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 3 cans beef broth I usually just fill up my 28 oz can from the tomatoes and use the appropriate amount of bouillon
- 1 large or 2 smallish onions
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 3 celery stalks
- 4 med carrots I used baby carrots when writing this post because I was out of large ones
- 8 tbsp pearl barley
- 1/2 tsp thyme you can substitute with basil if you'd rather
- 1/4 cup red wine - optional
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 bay leaf I never have one, so don't sweat it if you don't either
Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 238mg | Potassium: 598mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5280IU | Vitamin C: 11.9mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 3.1mg