Homemade Watercolour Paint for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Learn how to make homemade watercolour paint disks for pennies with just 5 kitchen ingredients. These paints work great and will store indefinitely. Perfect for toddlers and preschoolers.
measuring cup with spout
- 4 tbsp baking soda bicarbonate soda
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Light Corn Syrup also known as Karo Syrup or Golden Corn Syrup
- 2 tbsp cornstarch also known as corn flour in the UK
- Food colouring icing gels produce the most intense colours
- Mini Muffin Tin or ice cube tray
Mix baking soda and vinegar together in a spouted container i.e. 2 cup measuring cup.
Add corn syrup and cornstarch, and mix until well dissolved.
Pour into a mini muffin tin or ice cube tray
Your mixture will thicken if you stop stirring so keep it moving as you pour.
Add a dab of icing gel or 6 drops of liquid food colour to each compartment of paint. An extra pinch of cornstarch will compensate for the extra liquid if using liquid food colour.
Let your paints set for 24-48 hours.
To paint, simply swish with a wet paint brush.